Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 1 and 2

Yesterday I started the tour with a 60 mile ride from Durham, NH to Portland, ME.  While it was cloudy all day, the rain held and I made it to Portland in plenty of time for the first show of the tour at the Local Sprouts Cafe.  Local Sprouts is not only a local foods restaurant and bakery, but features a Community Supported Kitchen and several education programs surrounding the topic of local food.  The food was amazing and the show was great too.  After a day of reflection, I feel comfortable saying that the bacon cheeseburger that I had for dinner (made will all local ingredients) was the best burger that I have had in my life.

Today, I rode the very familiar route from Portland to Water Village, NH, while making sure to stop at the world famous rope swing on route 25.  The evening featured a very special concert at the Ossipee Mountain Grange Hall, home of GALA (global awareness local action), a great organization working on all sorts of community building and sustainability projects.  Josh Arnold, founder of GALA gave the audience a small lesson on the history of the grange, which was/is an organization that allows farmers and their families to work together, but more importantly, to come together and interact.  Tonight, a group of us came together to share music, including some great singalongs and percussion performances by members of the audience.  The grange is a great space to perform and to be with people and had a wonderful energy tonight.

I'll be riding towards Vermont tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment